This delightful little fruit that offers a sweet, juicy texture is a popular choice among many. Strawberries, grown mainly in the months of June and July, are eaten fresh or frozen, combined with other fruits for breakfast, made into jam, or blended into smoothies. They are low in calories and come loaded with many health benefits.
Did you know that strawberries are also called false fruit? This is because these fleshy fruits are formed by ripening the ovary with other parts of a flower-like perianth or base.
Health benefits of strawberries
Strawberries are rich in fibre and water. This heart-shaped fruit is packed with vitamins C and B9 along with manganese, calcium, and magnesium. It also helps in aiding cognitive function, safeguards your heart, keeps allergies and asthma at bay, and improves eyesight
Sourcing of strawberries
The United States is the world’s largest strawberry producer, with about 90% grown in California and around 8% in Florida. Turkey, Egypt, Spain, Mexico, and Poland are the other countries that largely produce strawberries.
The main importers of strawberries are the United Kingdom, France, the Netherlands, Belgium, Italy, Russia, and Hong Kong.
In India, strawberries are cultivated widely in Maharashtra’s Satara district, Kalimpong in West Bengal, Nainital and Dehradun in Uttarakhand, and Karnataka’s Bengaluru. Mahabaleshwar in Satara district, Panchgani, and Wai produce around 85% of strawberries in India.
Here is a super-easy dish using strawberries that you can add to your dessert menu.
Strawberry cream dessert
- 1 cup fresh strawberries
- 1 tablespoon cream
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Take the fresh strawberries, and cut them into small pieces after a thorough rinse.
- Add a teaspoon of sugar to the cut strawberries. Mix it well with the strawberries and keep it aside for 30 minutes.
- Add the cream into a bowl, mix in ¼ cup of powdered sugar or icing sugar, and gently whip it together till you get soft peaks. Add ½ teaspoon of vanilla extract. Fold into the cream gently.
- In a tall serving glass, add the strawberry and sugar mixture. The mixture would have released some excess juice. Add this juice as well. Top this layer with the cream and sugar mix. Your strawberry cream dessert is ready!
Do you wish to lay your hands on premium quality strawberries? If yes, then L’exotique is the brand for you. Here’s why L’exotique is the best.
- Premium quality: L’exotique provides premium quality, imported, hand-picked fruits which are sourced directly from the finest orchards across the globe.
- Excellent supply chain management: We are one of the top importers in India, sourcing fruits from 5 continents and 10 countries spanning both hemispheres, and supplying to 50 cities across India.
- Customer satisfaction: Customers are our top priority, and we believe in giving the best to our customers to keep them happy.
When you buy fruits from L’exotique, we guarantee quality, hygiene, and freshness. Our quality-assured farm-fresh exotic fruits go through in-depth standardized checks before they reach you. Our brand is built on quality and trust.
- Can I freeze strawberries?
Yes, you can. But make sure you freeze the whole fruit without sugar. This helps in retaining its nutritional value.
- How do strawberries taste?
Strawberries are often sweet and sour at the same time. If they are not ripe, they can have a certain amount of tartness.
- Where did strawberries originate?
Strawberries originated in Europe. The first garden strawberry was grown in Brittany, France, during the late 18th century.
- How many calories do strawberries have?
One cup of halved strawberries (152g) has 49 calories, 1g protein, 12g carbs, and 0.5g fat.
- What is the botanical name of strawberry?
The botanical name of strawberry is Fragaria Ananassa.